ABOUT GRAND CINEMAS
Grand Cinemas was originally formed as a family business in 1928 and through its history has been one of the great innovators in the West Australian cinema industry.
In the days when a night out at the movies meant a trip to the city, Grand Cinemas was at the forefront, with a group of great old theaters in the heart of Perth.
Then came the Drive-Inn era, and the company expanded through Perth's suburbs with a string of popular cinemas. Later movie-goers opted for the old trend of headingback into the city for a night out. This created another turnaround in the company's focus and the advent of multi-screen complexes. Grand Theaters was again a leaderwith the construction of the Cinema City opposite the Perth Town Hall.
Then in early 90's when movies made a big return to the suburbs, the company developed the first of a chain of high-tech multi screen complexes with the first opening at Warwick in 1994. A complex in Bunbury followed before Currambine opened in 1999. Expansion followed in April 2004 when the company took over the Joondalup and Whitford City multi screen theatres from Greater Union and in 2005 the company opened its sixth complex in Armadale.
Still WA owned and focused, the Grand Theatre Company is proud of its history - which is nearly as long as the movie industry itself - and status as one of Australia's oldest independent film exhibitors.